Well, before doing this….do this test
1) Goto http://www.testmy.net/ and click on Download Speed Test, and then on Smart Test. and while conducting this test, don’t forget to close all Instant Messengers, and there should be no other web activity, other than the test.
2) Note down the speeds.
Now, lets see, what all changes to be made…..
This tip is designed for increased BROADBAND speed in Windows XP while using standardNetwork Interface cards (NIC) that are connected to ADSL modems, or when using any directly-connected USB ADSL modem.
1. Open the System Information tool by running MSINFO32.EXE from the Run command.
2. Expand System Summary > Hardware Resources > IRQs.
3. Look for the listing made for your NIC (in my case – a IntelÂ® PRO/100+ Management Adapter). Note the IRQ next to the specified line (in my case – IRQ21).
In case of USB modems you will first need to find the right USB device used by your modem. Follow these steps:
1. Open the Device Manager tool by running DEVMGMT.MSC from the Run command (or by right-clicking My Computer > Hardware tab > Device Manager button).
2. Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and expand it.
3. Right-click the USB Root Hub and select Properties. Note that you might need to do so for all listed USB Root hubs (if there are more than one) in order to find the right one.
4. In the Power tab, look for your USB ADSL modem.
5. In the Resources tab look for the assigned IRQ (in this case – IRQ21).
6. This is the IRQ we’re looking for.
Note: IRQs and modem names might vary…
Step #2 – Modify the system.ini file
1. Run SYSEDIT.EXE from the Run command.
2. Expand the system.ini file window.
3. Scroll down almost to the end of the file till you find a line called [386enh].
4. Press Enter to make one blank line, and in that line type IrqX=4096 where X is the designated IRQ number we found in step #1, in my case it’s IRQ20.
Note: This line IS CASE SENSITIVE!!!
Done. Speed improvement will be noticed after the computer reboots.
NOW DO THE SPEED TEST AGAIN (MENTIONED IN THE BEGINNING) AND NOTICE THE CHANGE IN SPEED
The most speed improvement is visible with USB.